TARGET e.V. is looking for its project in Ethiopia for a MD/Gynecologist
TARGET's project in Afar Zone 2 is focusing on two objectives: building a solid GYN/OBS clinic with OR, and counteract FGM.
In Afar, 91.6 per cent are mutilated, with the majority having undergone Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Type II and III. This poses great risks for girls and women, in particular during labor. The TARGET Higher Obstetrics Speciality Clinic opened its doors in June 2015 and tries to address the problem of emergency obstetrics, which is especially acute in remote regions such as Afar where access to health care and prenatal examinations is "too far", where more than half of the population live below the poverty line and cannot afford access to healthcare and in addition, where existing heath posts and health centers are often under-staffed and under-funded, thus providing poor service and no option to assist laboring women in emergencies.
Our small clinic with 10 inpatient beds aims to address this existing gap in emergency obstetrics by providing not only the possibility of ANC but also through a sound obstetrics OR facility. Regular visits of European volunteer doctors are furthermore closing the countrywide gap of qualified surgeons and gynecologist. TARGET has already established a strong presence in the region for more than a decade. TARGET intervenes without any affiliation to politics, religion or financial profit.
Overall patient care and active participation in clinic management in support of the Clinic Committee and German TARGET German Management Board.
Patient care, in particular OR and ER patients as well as support in GYN/OBS patient care when requested by local staff
- Participate actively in monitoring and reporting of medical activities
- Supervise clinic-based medical staff together with and incl.the nursing director (national staff and international volunteers)
- Manage (day to day activities, working hours, presence planning etc.) and evaluate staff, encouraging effective team work and providing supervision and guidance (in cooperation with nursing director and Clinic Committee)
- Actively take part in the work of the Clinic Committee as Medical Coordinator, to progress and shape the clinic's operation
- Mentor, coach and supervisor national medical staff of the clinic in cooperation with incoming international medical volunteers, this includes on-the-job trainings
- Support German Management Board in sensitization activities for the population, e.g. on FGM
- Ensure that apart from patient care also cross-cutting theme 'FGM' is fully integrated by training, monitoring and supervising clinic staff in screening, counseling and treatment of FGM patients (Training material and FGM awareness based on TARGET and WHO guidelines)
- Assist the German Management Board in staff resource planning: job descriptions, recruitment, induction and training for all medical staff and international volunteers as appropriate
- Medical Doctor with specialization in OBS/GYN or sound work experience in an Operation Room setting (e.g. CS and related emergency OBS operations)
- Experience required, preferably in a similar position; knowledge and experience of international development work is an asset
- Command authority and respect through assertiveness, through a sense of diplomacy and sensitivity to cultural differences
- Proficiency in common computer programmes (MS Word, Excel etc.)
- Fluent in English
You can expect a varied, challenging job in a committed team, and performance-focused payment. Furthermore, TARGET provides 25 days annual leave, free board and lodging on the clinic compound, transportation, health and accident insurance, work-related liability insurance and twice per year return flights. Though this position is initially limited to twelve months, there is a strong prospect of extension as we are looking for a longterm team member!
If you are interested in this position, please send your application incl. CV with references, motivation letter with the earliest date you could start and your desired salary as PDF or JPEG files to email@example.com no later than 30 November 2017.
Kindly use "TARGET Gynecologist Ethiopia" as reference for your email.
As we want to fill the vacancy as soon as possible, we will continually check applications and make job interviews before the end of the application period. While we appreciate all applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
The TARGET Team is looking forward to your compelling application!